We all slouch at the computer, its a fact of life. But over time slouching causes back, shoulder and other pains. That’s why you need a yoga ball.
The best yoga ball and stand will help you with balance issues along with increasing your stability and core strength. Other common names for this unique piece of equipment are exercise ball, physio ball, Swiss ball and stability ball. But no matter what you call it, the yoga ball is a perfect way to correct computer desk slouching and burn extra calories while you’re working.
After evaluating dozens of yoga balls, we found the Mantra Sports Exercise Ball Chair is the best option for most people. Its extra thick, includes a stand, pump, fun poster with exercises and even a set of resistance bands so you can do toning exercises at your desk.
To see the top 5 we evaluated, keep reading...
Quick Answer: The Best Yoga Ball & Stand
1. Mantra Sports Exercise Ball Chair
This Yoga ball is available in two sizes. There is the 65 cm (25.6” inch) is made for a person between 5’ 4” and 5’ 10”. The 75 cm (29.5” inch) ball is made for a person 5’ 11” to 6’ 7’” tall. If you’re ever wondering about the correct size for you, sit on the exercise ball with your feet flat on the ground in front of you. If they’re on the ground, its the right size.
The Mantra exercise ball is made with phthalate-free PVC that’s layered multiple times for maximum puncture resistance. It also comes with a sturdy base to give you stability at your desk and keep it from rolling around your office.
Additionally, it comes with a set of attachable 15 lb resistance bands which can be used for toning your arms, abs and the rest of your body anytime you want. In fact, you can perform more than 100 different exercises with this ball and band combination.
- Professional grade material used in its construction with no reports of the ball ever failing or deflating.
- Lifetime guarantee
- Phthalate-free material
- Non-toxic material
- Solid base for easy use
- Comes with foot air pump for inflation
- Has poster with illustrated exercises on it for assistance when exercising
- Helps reduce back pain
- The company is known for wonderful customer service
- This is an all in one package
- One of the few yoga balls sold with both the base ring and the resistant straps
- Reasonably priced
- Can handle up to 750 lbs of weight
- Tested by independent lab for quality
- The entire package weighs 4.5 lbs
- Available in black, gray and turquoise with an orange base
- There have been a few negative reports about the base
- The quality of the air pump is less than desired
2. RGGD & RGGL Yoga Ball Chair
This is a yoga ball which is 65 cm or 25.6” in diameter designed to be used by a person between 5’ 4” and 5’ 10” tall. Each ball is made out of eco-friendly anti-burst PVC that is non-toxic along with being hypoallergenic.
Some yoga balls can have a rubbery smell (it comes with the territory). What’s nice about this one is that we didn’t notice any off-putting or rubbery odors. It was completely neutral out of the box.
The RGGD Exercise ball also features a set of attachable resistance bands and a one year warranty. So if anything were to happen, you can send it in for a replacement.
- Retains its shape even when tested to withstand 2,200 lbs
- Has two attachable resistance bands included with the yoga ball
- An inflatable base is included with the package
- Made from Eco-friendly non-toxic PVC and safe for people with allergies
- The ball is constructed with multiple layers of PVC to resist punctures
- The bands can be stretch to 2 ½ times their normal length
- The bands are attached to the ball with rust-resistant carabiner clips for long life
- The yoga ball is odor free
- Is equipped with a foot air pump
- This ball has passed all GS safety standards
- The product has been tested by independent labs for quality with passing grades
- Reasonably priced
- Is available in black, gray and purple
- 1 year warranty
- No exercise descriptions
- Weights 6.2 lbs
3. Trideer exercise ball, ring & pump
This exercise ball is made from eco-friendly, hypo-allergenic material which comes in 65 cm and 75 cm sizes. The Trideer yoga ball is made from a thick PVC (like most yoga balls), engineered to be “anti-burst” and it can support up to 2,000 lbs.
The exterior has a smooth, mat like finish that’s non-slip but not so grippy that it interferes with your switching positions or sticks to your legs. Overall, it's a solid choice offered in a variety of colors so you’re bound to find one that matches your style.
- Two sizes so the perfect fit is obtainable
- Is rated as a pro gym exercise ball
- Been independently tested to withstand 2,000 lbs and remain inflated and keep its shape in the anti-burst test
- Comes with the base
- Foot air pump included
- Low in price
- Matted non-slip surface
- Constructed with eco-friendly PVC material that is phthalate and heavy metal free
- Odor free
- Good customer service from the manufacturer
- Is available in purple, black, green, mint green, red, silver and Turkish
- Does not include resistance bands in the package
- One person reported the ring base blowing out
4. Dub Fitness Stability Ball with Pump
This portable and lightweight exercise ball has a diameter of 65 cm or 25.6” and its able to support up to 1,500 lbs of pressure. It comes with a set of resistance bands and the stand to keep it from moving around. The pump works but its not the easiest thing to use. However, once its pumped up, you’ll rarely have to use the pump again - so it's not a big deal.
While the Dub Fitness yoga ball doesn’t come in any fancy colors or even multiple sizes, at the time of this writing, it's one of the cheapest yoga balls in this article. However, the warranties only 60 days and the PVC has a lower strength rating than the Mantra exercise ball (our first choice) so the little bit you save may cost you in the long run.
- Weighs only 3 lbs
- Come complete with resistance bands and an foot air pump
- The surface is both dust and hair resistant
- The resistance bands are 15 lb resistance
- Has a chart 9” x 11” accompanied with the purchase of the ball with 20 exercises
- The package has extra plugs and plug pullers included
- Surface is maintenance free
- The ball is made out of robust PVC
- This yoga ball is classified as anti-burst
- Easy to deflate and store
- Only a 6 month warranty
- The resistance bands attach around the ring and can move during exercises
- There are some complaints about the quality of the air pump
- Is only available in black
5. SoAlpha Premium Exercise Ball with 15 LB Resistance Bands
This is an all in one package so you'll be able to perform more than 100 different exercises with the ball and its accessories. The SoAlpha exercise ball is tested up to 600 lbs. so you’re not likely to break it. Included with your package is a set of attachable 15 lb resistance bands so you can tone while sitting or even do a full body workout if you’re in the mood.
Additionally, it comes with a money back guarantee (although they don’t specify a warranty) so if anything happens or you’re not happy, you can always send it back. Overall, this yoga ball kit is a solid choice for your home or office.
A workout video is available online
- Light weight weighting just 2 lbs.
- Included with the ball are resistance bands rated for 15 lbs, inflatable ring to be used for the base and an air foot pump
- A workout poster is included with the ball
- The resistance bands are detachable
- Material used for the ball’s construction is anti-stick and anti-burst PVC
- Maintenance free surface
- Can support a person’s weight up to 600 lbs
- Money back guarantee
- Is only available in matted silver
- It is not mentioned if the PVC is multi layered or not
- Time period of guarantee not mentioned by the manufacturer
The Advantages and uses of a Yoga Ball
A yoga ball with resistance bands is an ideal way to get a full body workout in just a few square feet of space. It’s also proven to activate stabilizer muscles while you’re sitting which builds your core and may help you correct posture.
This type of non-impact exercising equipment can be used by all ages and helps you tone your muscles for better overall health.
For people recovering from hip, back or knee injuries, the yoga ball is the recommended exercise equipment to restore the muscles and recover faster.
When using the yoga ball as a chair, it increases muscle tone both in the lower back and abdominal regions of the body. This toning and core strengthening is ideal for reducing lower back pain and you get the added benefit of tightening your waistline.
The list of possibilities and benefits are too many to list in this article, but you can be sure its an inexpensive and fun way to get in shape.
How to find the right size yoga ball
The correct size yoga ball for a person is dependent on their height. Each person should be able to sit on the ball with their feet flat on the ground. When this is accomplished you have the correct size ball for you.
The most common size used is the 65cm or 25.6” diameter ball. This is ideal for a person who is from 5’ 6” to 6’ 2” tall.
The largest yoga ball is the 75 cm or 29.5” diameter ball. This size is recommended for people who are 6’ 3” and taller.
The smallest yoga ball is 45 cm or 17.7” in diameter. People between 4’ 6” and 5’ should use this size for their aerobic exercises.
There is also a 55 cm or 21.7” diameter ball which should be used for people from 5’ to 5’ 6” tall.
People who should not use a Yoga ball
The use or just sitting on a yoga ball does help strengthen the back and abdominal muscles, but anyone in pain should not use one unless being very careful and given the okay by your doctor. You should also wait to use a yoga ball if you have a spinal injury.
For those people that have a fear of falling or have any discomfort when sitting on a yoga ball, it is recommended to find another means for your exercise.
Because of the reasonable price and high quality construction in their yoga balls the Mantra Sports Exercise Ball Chair is our top recommendation. This product is available in two sizes. The material it is high quality, no-smell, and slip resistant.
Included with the purchase are two resistance bands, a base and a foot air pump so you don’t have to buy anything more to get started. It also comes with a lifetime warranty so if anything ever happens, you can send it in for a replacement.
Overall, it's a great option for both an office chair and an at home, full body workout. But no matter where you use it, this is our favorite option.