Long ago I stumbled upon a book that changed the course of my life. It was a book on meditation and mindfulness. I had been going through a particularly hard time for several months preceding and found myself in a place of more questions than answers.
I was walking past the bookshelf at a friends one day and this little book by Eckhart Tolle caught my eye. I had heard of him before so I decided to pick it up. It was one of the best meditation books I’ve ever read.
His story resonated and inspired me so much that I decided to go on this journey to read more, study more and practice more meditation.
So here we are; I’m going to review the top meditation books in this reading list and hopefully you’ll be inspired too!
Our Top Picks:
- The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle
- The Four Agreements – Don Miguel Ruiz
- Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself – Dr. Joe Dispenza
- The Untethered Soul – Michael Singer
- The Miracle of Mindfulness – Thich Nhat Hanh
- Meditation For Beginners – Jack Kornfield
- Meditation Now – Elizabeth Reninger
- The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Best Meditation Books Reviewed
1. The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle
Topping the list is the book mentioned above. This is the one that really got me started in my journey and one of the most inspiring books on meditation. While he doesn’t necessarily go into specific meditations, its about awakening the mind and ending suffering (which is why we’re meditating in the first place right?).
The Power Of Now primarily focuses on:
- Getting into present time and separating from your thoughts
- Living without pain and fear
- Letting go of ego
- Self discovery and finding your true essence
- Very simple and practical ways you can begin changing your life and relationships
2. The Four Agreements – Don Miguel Ruiz
The four agreements is another book that doesn’t have meditations but rather focuses on helping you create a meditative state. By that I mean an enlightened life where you can live in peace among chaos. This is a quick read that will probably only take a few hours and every word is gold.
The Four Agreements Focuses on:
- Four specific personal agreements you make with yourself
- Being impeccable with your word
- Don’t take anything personally
- Don’t make assumptions
- Always do your best
- Eliminating outdated agreements
- Living a fulfilled life
3. Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself – Dr. Joe Dispenza
Dr. Joe Dispenza speaks to the science behind how your brain forms neurological connections based on thought processes. He explains how the pathways of negativity, positivity and healing are formed and thus can be broken with concentrated effort.
His work is groundbreaking and very enlightening from a scientific perspective. This book is on a slightly higher reading level but filled with actionable tips that help you make serious progress in short time.
Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself Focuses on:
- The science of you (your bigger self, environment, body, time, etc.)
- How meditation effects your brain
- Dismantling the memories of your old self and becoming your new self
- Eliminating old habits that reinforce negativity
- Building a new mindset
Dr. Joe Dispenzas meditation book also has a companion CD I recommend you get with the book. I own it as well and it really is a necessary part of the program.
Here’s the link to the Audio CD on Amazon.
4. The Untethered Soul – Michael Singer
The Untethered Soul focuses on helping you eliminate the limiting beliefs we place on ourselves and embrace our true, untethered nature. It was co-published by the Institute of Noetic Sciences and helps you tap into the traditions of mindfulness to transform your relationship with yourself and the world around you.
The Untethered Soul Focuses On:
- Your relationship with your thoughts and emotions
- Recovering your inner energy
- Changing habitual thoughts, emotions and patterns that place limits on your life
- Removing the walls in your life
- Letting go of fear
5. The Miracle of Mindfulness – Thich Nhat Hanh
Thich Nhat hanh is one of the foremost leaders in meditation and spirituality. The Miracle of Mindfulness is all about cultivating awareness in your every day life. From washing the dishes to dealing with traffic, he gives practical anecdotes and strategies to help you feel calm in stressful situations.
The Miracle of Mindfulness Focuses on:
- Cultivating essential discipline
- Appreciating the miracle of life we’ve been blessed with
- Becoming mindful
- Exercises in mindfulness
6. Meditation For Beginners – Jack Kornfield
Meditation For Beginners focuses on those who have not yet developed a meditation practice but would like to. It covers the benefits of meditation, why you should meditate, and then gives you step-by-step processes for developing a practice you’ll stick with.
Meditation For Beginners Focuses on:
- The art of meditation
- Benefits of meditation
- How to bring meditation into your life on a daily basis
- Connecting with your breath, thoughts, bodily sensations and your thoughts.
- Gives practical meditations on forgiveness, loving kindness, eating meditations, walking meditations and several more.
7. Meditation Now – Elizabeth Reninger
Meditation Now is for the busy individual. Its all about 10 minute meditations to help relieve tension, stress and promote tranquility. This is mostly an action guide for those of you who want to get started quick fast and in a hurry!
Meditation Now Focuses on:
- 14 ten minute meditations you can use in everyday situations
- Step-by-step instructions that help you use meditation in your life
- Guidelines to overcoming obstacles
- Quotes and tips
8. The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
The Alchemist is an awesomely inspiring book on self-discovery. The book tells the story of a boy who desires to travel and acquire worldly items. In his journey he learns about himself and gains much more than riches. This is book that anyone can identify with and its a great read.
The Alchemist Focuses on:
- Learning to identify whats truly important in life
- Living with purpose and fulfillment
- Developing inner wisdom and strength
9. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius is not about mindfulness or the standard meditation you’re used to; Which may be a good thing. Marcus Aurelius was an emperor or Rome who documented many personal notes rooted in stoic philosophy. Its a great read that can inspire anyone to tap into their inner strength and fortitude.
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius Focuses on:
- Analyzing the judgement of yourself and others
- Developing a larger perspective
- Living without distraction
- Maintaining strong principals
There you have it! These are the best meditation books I’ve found to date. They’re great for everyone from the beginning meditator all the way up to the advanced. While some don’t focus directly on meditations, they’re all packed with timeless wisdom for living a purposeful and inspired life free from mental chatter and negativity.